Pages

Potato Gratin



1 kilo potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
30 g unsalted butter melted
sea salt
freshly ground white pepper
250ml Cream

Take a small baking dish, copper pan or ceramic casserole, just large enough to contain the sliced potatoes.
Brush the dish with melted butter.
Slice potatoes very thinly, lengthways.

Layer the sliced potatoes, slightly overlapping, in a circular motion.
After one layer, season with sea salt and pepper and pour a small amount of cream over the top.
Continue in this way until the potato reaches just below the top of the dish.
The cream should just cover the potatoes.
Drizzle with some melted butter.
Add a touch more pepper.

Bake at 140 C for about 1.5 hours. until it has turned golden brown.

2 comments:

annie said...

I love potatoes so I am going to try this one very soon. Looks so delicious.

Debbie said...

It has become my favourite comfort food since I ate it cooked by an expert, and have tried to copy it ever since. I think it really needs to be cooked in a small round pan, just like in the photo: I did it in a larger pan (to feed more people) and it didn't work out so well. So I suggest using the smaller pans.